Glacier & Toole Counties
Rim Rock Wind Farm is a 189-megawatt (MW) wind farm, on 21,000 acres of private land near Cut Bank, MT. The project began commercial operations in December, 2012. When running at full capacity, Rim Rock generates enough energy to power approximately 60,000 homes from its 126 Acciona 1.5 MW wind turbines.
The project has been designed to exacting standards regarding Montana’s wildlife habitats, with special attention paid to the state’s raptor population. These standards will be rigorously monitored and maintained.
A collaboration of the private and public sectors, the project is another step forward in America’s drive for energy independence. And it supports Montana’s commitment to be a leader in wind power development. Rim Rock’s benefits will reach a broad spectrum of society, locally, regionally, nationally, even globally.
- Project Status: In Production
- Energy Capacity: 189 MW
- Annual Production: ~662 GWh
- # of Homes Powered: ~60,000
- Project Area: ~21,000 Acres
- Project Footprint: Private land - wheat and livestock
- Transmission Service: 30-yrs secured on Montana Alberta Tie Line
- Turbine Details: Acciona 1.5 MW, 80 m Turbines
- In-Service Date: December, 2012